Wednesday 11 August 2010

A big birthday


My darling husband Les turned 60 yesterday. He was quite laid back about the whole thing. We had a lovely day.
It occurred to me at one point that I seemed to be affected more by this milestone than the Birthday Boy – I felt very odd. I think it was the realisation that life is rushing past far too fast and that 60 is a big event. When choosing my husband’s birthday card I chuckled at many but one in particular amused me and then hit me with its plain truth. ‘At 60 you are no long middle aged’ and the punch line was ‘how many 120 years olds do you know’!

Although I try not to dwell on my own mortality too often, as the years pass you can’t help but ponder a bit. Well today I am fine again – we had a great day yesterday and today the future still looks great – after all it’s the quality of your life that counts (and I still have a few more years till my 60th!) - we are now looking forward to a big party to celebrate the event with friends and family coming from the four corners.

We may not have 60 years left but I am going to make dam sure that I enjoy them however many there might be.

1 comment:

  1. A very happy birthday to Les. Hope you both enjoy the celebration. I know what you mean about the occasional confronting of your own mortality too! Having the best time is the only strategy:)

    ReplyDelete