Sunday 12 September 2010

Back to Normal


Well I feel like we’re nearly back to normal again. After the wonderful party and having all the family to stay, Les and I have had a busy couple of weeks with paying guests. But this week we took a couple of days off to regroup and catch up with a few jobs. Although a lay in has also been on the cards we have been just as busy but doing different things.

I equally love and dislike this time of year – the summer is nearly over – apart from a few late Indian summer days if we are lucky. The anticipation and wonder that is Autumn – with the fantastic pallet of colours that represent this beautiful time of year is always countered with the knowledge that the trees are about to shed their golden, copper and red tresses and that winter will too soon be upon us; and Les will be forever sweeping up leaves in the garden.

There is always lots to do in the garden and the kitchen – borders, hedges and shrubs to cut back and bulbs etc to plant to make sure we have some spring colour. The plums have all been picked 25lbs this year which is a surprise because so many people have had a bad crop, after last year’s bounty. I’ve made 14lbs of Plum Jam and frozen the rest for pies and crumbles throughout the winter. The apples have also been great this year and I have been busy freezing some and making apple jelly, a real favourite of mine.
The sewing machine has also had an outing this week and I have made some new aprons. I had forgotten how much I enjoy sewing. My sister is the real seamstress in our family and because she is always making such lovely pieces I forget that I am quite capable of turning up the odd thing too. I get through a lot of aprons as I seem to be in a ‘pinny’ all day sometimes (as those of you who have stayed with us will know – there are many a photo of Les and I at the front door in our pinny’s).
We managed a day out on Tuesday and took the dogs for a lovely walk along the costal path, the sun came out and it felt like Summer still. We took a leisurely drive back over the hills, only touching B roads or small lanes, stopping to walk the dogs again over the Denbigh Moors.
I was back to Erddig Hall today after the summer break, volunteering in the education department (see blog dated 18th July 2010 ) and had a lovely time with very sweet 5 and 6 year olds – what a joy they are – but so lovely that they are not mine! Just waiting for the next lot of guests to arrive as I type this – so now really back to normal.

1 comment:

  1. I love the sight of full jars all lined up ready for winter. My favourite preserve so far is apple, pear and ginger conserve but love plum jam. Our plum crop was poor this year but we picked loads of wild ones from up the lane.

    ReplyDelete