Saturday 26 June 2010

Willis has been plucked

Our puppy Willis has been plucked. Ouch ! I said at the thought of it – but he looks very smart.

Our first dog was a lovely springer spaniel called Ben – mad of course, but with a lovely temperament apart from his passion for postmen (and women). But the hair that came off of him was horrendous. It was like tumble weed blowing around the kitchen floor. We then inherited a lovely little toy poodle called Nina, which our daughter adored and played with endlessly. Dressing her up in baby clothes and pushing her around in a pram. Whist Nina was highly strung and a bit yappy she was a sweet little thing who didn’t know she was small and gave Ben a run for his money. She was always top dog. But the best thing about Nina was that she didn’t shed at all. She was taken to the ‘hairdresser’ every 6 weeks or so for a cut and blow dry and always came back smelling sweet with a ribbon on her collar. So when the time came to think about another dog as our lovely Ben was getting old, and still wanting a bigger dog we decided to get Sam our Standard Poodle. We found Nina to be such an intelligent dog that coupled with the whole ‘no shedding and no more tumble weed thing’ we felt it would be a perfect choice. Sam has proved to be a really wonderful companion and friend and my husband swears he understands every word you say to him.
Well sadly we lost Ben some years ago and then 4 years ago our little Nina died.
Since then we have (sorry in case my husband reads this I have) been looking for another small dog.
I have to admit to being one of those people who love animals of any shape and size. Even spiders don’t frighten me. Over the years we have had three cats, two rabbits, lots of hamsters, guinea pigs, cockatiels and fish but dogs are my favourite.
So when I took Sam for a hair cut in January and I was treated to the sight of two little puppies – well of course I melted. Two of the sweetest little Border Terrier pups were calling to me – ‘take me home’,’ take me home’. Cathy the breeder said they were lovely dogs, very friendly who love children and they don’t moult. They have to be plucked every 4 to 5 months. I did a bit of research about the breed on the internet, we met the mother who was a real little character and we were persuaded to get one of the little chaps.

Hence my little Willis had been plucked and doesn’t he look smart.


Although I must say he looked cute scruffy.

No comments:

Post a Comment